Parker County WWI Inductees

Parker County Historical Markers

1933 Weatherford City Hall

Built in 1934, the City Hall and fire station provided local employment during the Great Depression. It is one of only two Art Deco buildings in the City of Weatherford. Two City departments are still housed in the building while the fire station is currently an art... read more

Aledo United Methodist Church

The church had its beginnings in 1878 in the community of Alma located west of the current town of Aledo. When the T&P RR came through this area, the church building, called Alma Hall, was moved to this site. It was razed in the... read more

All Saints’ Episcopal Church

A mission church was organanized in 1876 and the first church building completed in 1879 where the 1933 Weatherford City Hall now stands. Maggie (Coleman) Foat gave the church this property in memory of her daughter, and this building was constructed in 1923. World... read more

Annetta Cemetery

Community founder and Confederate soldier Alexander B. Fraser entered self-exile with his wife Caroline in Honduras rather than pledge allegiance to the Union after the Civil War. His daughter, Anneta, was born in Honduras. The Frazier’s returned to the area in... read more

Authon Cemetery

Dating from 1871, the Authon Church of Christ which had a sanctuary at this site until the 1920’s. See “Authon” under Towns & Communities for more... read more

Baker Community

This community was on land settled by the Baker family before Parker County was formed. The family engaged in commercial ventures, and gave land for a school and church. Josiah’s mother was buried in the Baker Cemetery following her death in 1854. The Texas... read more

Bethesda Cemetery

John G. Leach and John Marshall Coalson gave land for the cemetery when Mr. Leach’s daughter seemed near death in 1877 at the age of five. She recovered and lived to be 89 years old leaving the earliest marked grave to Charlie A. Walker who died in... read more

Bose Ikard

A slave born in Mississippi, Bose adopted the surname of his owner, Dr. Milton L. Ikard when they moved to Weatherford. Following Emancipation, Ikard became a cowboy herding cattle along the Goodnight-Loving Cattle Trail, and a trusted friend of Charles Goodnight.... read more

Brock Methodist Church

Built on land donated by James and Sarah Maddux who settled the area in 1876, the church has served the Brock Community for over 100... read more

Cartersville

Cartersville was founded in 1866 and was subsequently changed to Carter in 1888. The town declined in the early 1900’s, and little remains but one of the church buildings and a number of markers describing events and locals in the... read more

Central Christian Church

Formed in 1894 when the Church of Christ split over the use of musical instruments in church services, the original church building still stands at Oak and Houston Streets in... read more

Chandor Gardens

Begun in 1934 on his mother-in-law’s caliche cow pasture, and originally called White Shadows, portrait artist Douglas Chandor and his wife Ina (Kuteman) Chandor constructed this 3-1/2 acre oasis. Five Chandor paintings are housed in the Smithsonian, one of... read more

Citizens National Bank

Founded by James Robertson Couts with $50,000 in gold earned selling cattle in California, this two-story stone building was build in... read more

City of Aledo

Aledo was established in 1879 when the T&P RR was extended through town. The original name, Parker, caused such confusion in the mails that the post office requested the name be changed, which then occurred in 1882. W. C. Hickson, a railroad engineer, suggested... read more

Clark Cemetery

Closely associated with early Methodism in Parker County, the cemetery also is the resting place of numerous veterans which are honored with separate plaques at the primary entrance... read more

Coho and Nancy Jane Smith Farmstead Site

A colorful character who spoke several languages, including Comanche, Coho Smith helped build the first structure in Dallas with James Hoggard, and helped lay out the original township of Dallas. He traveled over much of the western US, Mexico, to Cuba, and Central... read more

Colonel Alfred G. Cooper

Honored with a Texas Centennial marker, Colonel Alfred G. Cooper served in 3 wars between 1836 and 1865. He is buried in Spring Creek... read more

Dennis Methodist Church

Located initially in the Dennis Community, this church was moved to US 377 near the Pate Museum after the church disbanded in 1970. The community was named for N.M. Dennis who moved to the area in the... read more

Dilbeck Cemetery

Although there were a number of burials prior to the time J. L. F. Dilbeck acquired the property in 1893, the cemetery was given his family... read more

Double Log Cabin

G. A. Holland brought together these two log cabins, one from NW Parker County owned by Mr. Bumgarner, and the other from SE Parker County on the Leon School land. Holland placed them in Holland Lake Park on land he had given to the... read more

Eureka Lodge No. 371, A. F. & A. M.

Built in a joint agreement between the Eureka Masonic Lodge and W.L. Hutcheson, the Lodge has been a consistent tenant while businesses downstairs have come and gone. The Texas Pythian... read more

First District Court in Parker County, Site

The first district court of the newly formed Parker County was held in the spring of 1856 on the J. J. Beeman homestead located on the Fort Belknap Road about 5 miles north of Weatherford. Judge Nathaniel Macon Burford presided over the first session held under a... read more

First Plant of Acme Brick Company

The rich clay discovered by George Bennett in 1890 still produces brick at this site in western Parker County. (See also “Lakota” under Towns & Communities for more... read more

Fondren Cemetery

Named for William B. Fondren and his wife Susannah, it was the first resting place for General Edward H. Tarrant for whom Tarrant County is named. Next to this cemetery is the burial place of Hanna and her daughter Rose, freed slaves who were killed by... read more

Fort Wolters

Parker County WWI Inductees Originally called Camp Wolters, an army camp from 1925-1946, it was for a time the largest infantry replacement training center in the United States. Two of WWII’s most famous enlisted infantry men underwent basic training here... read more

Franco-Texan Land Company Building

Formed out of Union General John Charles Fremont’s collapsed railroad scheme when French bondholders because owners of 640,000 acres of Texas land, New York lawyers organized the Franco-Texan Land company to reap the rewards of the fraudulent bond sale. The... read more

Fred Rider Cotten

First President of what became the Parker County Historical Commission, and long recognized for his collection and writings about Parker County... read more

Goforth Graves

The boundary of the cemetery is larger than this fenced plot, indicating there are additional burials. On land settled in 1857 by John L. and Elizabeth Goforth, the only known grave is of their 2-year old son, John L. Goforth, Jr., buried in 1863, while Goforth was... read more

Governor S.W.T. Lanham

A teacher and self-taught lawyer, Governor Lanham gained notoriety prosecuting Indian Chiefs Santanta and Satank in Jacksboro. He was the last Confederate soldier elected governor of Texas... read more

Grace First Presbyterian Church

Tracing its roots to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1859, Grace First is the combination of 3 congregations. One of the former church buildings still exists at South Main and Church Street in... read more

Greenwood Community

Although the school is gone, a couple of the churches, the cemetery, and other buildings continue to support the activities of area... read more

Gustavus Adolphus Holland

Gustavus Adolphus Holland was a successful business man and civic leader in Weatherford. His interests included history and he published “The Double Log Cabin” in 1937. He gave the land for Holland’s Lake Park and brought the log cabins, for which... read more

Hiner

The community, established through the efforts of James J. Barnett, got its name from Rev. James Hiner, the first minister of the local Methodist... read more

Hoggard-Reynolds Cemetery

Pioneer farmer and Confederate widow Sarah Hoggard gave a plot of her land for the burial of an African American child who died while traveling through the area with his family after the Civil War. The first marked burial is that of Francis Reynolds, who died in 1865.... read more

Hood Family Cemetery

Judge A. J. Hood was very active in the legal profession in Parker County. He buried his wife here on land she had chosen for their future... read more

Isaac Parker

Buried in the Turner Cemetery in eastern Parker County, stories of Isaac Parker abound. The County is named for him and he once had a log cabin at this site the chimney of which is at the Double Log Cabin at Holland Lake Park in Weatherford. He is also the uncle of... read more

Jack Llewellyn Knight

Killed during a battle on SE Asia during WWII, his body was returned to Parker County 4 years later for burial in Holder’s Chapel... read more

James Robertson Couts

Stories of J. R. Couts abound. A well-to-do business man, he started Citizens Bank with proceeds from a cattle drive to California. He liberally contributed to area charities, schools, and... read more

Lawson D. Gratz

Born a slave, he fought during the Civil War, and re-enlisted after the War in Indian Territory (today Oklahoma) serving with the 10th Cavalry also known as the “Buffalo Soldiers”. He married Rose Ann Cass, daughter of Mahala and Webb Cass. She bore him 14... read more

Lemley Cemetery

Although the Martin and Moore families are significantly represented in this cemetery, it draws its name from John H. and Thomas J. Lemley who acquired the property in... read more

Merchants and Farmers State Bank

Originally a federally chartered bank in 1889, it received a State charter in 1909. The bank has been closely associated with the Doss family since 1919 until its sale in the... read more

Nelson Cemetery

Named for the Hugh Nelson family, on land given by Hugh Nelson upon the death of his infant son who died in... read more

Newberry Community

Long associated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the site still houses the church next to the cemetery and its... read more

Old City Greenwood Cemetery

The oldest marked grave is of A. E. (Johnson) Shelton, wife of R. J. Shelton who died in 1859. The cemetery holds remains of people who influenced the business, political, and cultural development not only of Parker County, but the State of Texas, the United States,... read more

Oliver Loving

Considered the Dean of Texas Cattle Trails, Oliver Loving was a citizen of the Republic of Texas, Texas, the Confederacy, and the United States. The book “Lonesome Dove” is based largely on his life, and the lives of Charles Goodnight and Bose... read more

Parker County Poor Farm and Cemetery

Begun in 1883, this farm allowed indigent families a place to live while producing crops and raising animals. It closed in the 1940’s. Some of the buildings remain, though in significant... read more

Parsons Station

This community was named for early settler Amsley Parsons, and became a rail stop for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe line between Weatherford to Cresson and Cleburne which allowed ranchers to expand their cattle market.  The train was known as the Old Nancy Hanks... read more

Peaster Cemetery

Named for Henry H. Peaster who gave the land and began the Peaster Community, it is the burial place for John Alexander Fox who created the “Buster Brown” character for the shoe company of the same name.... read more

Poe Prairie

Named for early settler and farmer James William Poe, as with many area communities, a school and church drew area residents together. Also nearby were rock quarries some of which were used in Chandor... read more

Poolville

Water from a large spring-fed pool drew a number of people to the area sufficient to support businesses that enabled a town that still exists... read more

Poolville United Methodist Church

By 1885, a sufficient number of people had migrated to this area to cause the Goshen Methodist Episcopal Church in eastern Parker County to help organize this Methodist church in the western part. This church has been used as a place of worship since... read more

Porter Cemetery

Parker County’s first Judge, Robert Scott Porter, gave this land following the death of his granddaughter, Syrene E. Newberry. The Doss, Newberry, and Porter families were closely associated with the Newberry... read more

R. W. Kindel House

Richard William Kindel arrived in Weatherford a month before his 21st birthday in 1868. He started drug companies in Stephenville and Fort Worth. His business was so successful, he turned to wholesaling. He founded the first castor oil plant west of the Mississippi... read more

Rock Creek Cemetery

A nearby community formed here on a stagecoach stop along the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap Road. The cemetery augmented services the community provided area residents and those passing... read more

Rock Springs Cemetery

Another remnant of a community that once was home to a school and community gathering spot, the site was essentially abandoned when the town of Peaster was established... read more

Samuel Joseph Redgate

Mr. Redgate, an Englishman turned Texan, was a member of the Texas Legislature. He was the last survivor of the “Original 300” settlers Stephen F. Austin brought to begin the Anglo settlement of... read more

Samuel Willis Tucker Lanham

S. W. T. Lanham first taught school in a one-room cabin in Weatherford while living in a log cabin located on Spring Street. His assistant was Mary Dyer, who later married cattleman Col. Charles Goodnight. His home stands alone on a square block on South Alamo Street... read more

Santa Fe Depot

Built in 1906, the station served the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe RR until 1959. The Trinity Valley Railfans, Inc. of Fort Worth opened a museum dedicated to relics of the Iron Horse days. The Chamber now occupies the... read more

Shaw House

Thomas J. Shaw, a farmer, rancher, and carpenter, and his wife Louisa Ann (Long), came to Parker County in 1854.  Shaw built the original one-room cabin in 1856 where 8 of their 13 children were born.  In 1876, he added the second board-and-batten room and the... read more

Silver Creek United Methodist Church

Joseph Gillis Steele and Thomas Nelson Clayton each gave 1 acre of land for this church and community center. Mr. Clayton’s home , though an avowed Presbyterian, can still be seen SW of the church... read more

Soda Springs

Located just above the banks of the Brazos River in western Parker County, Soda Springs community served as a gathering spot for area residents. The nearby log corn crib attests to the resilience of the... read more

Soldier Spring Park

Said to have been used by Confederate Soldiers off to the War, the spring also has been the site of Chautauqua programs, political rallies, reunions, and hangings. Turned into the City dump, Grace Cartwright worked diligently to re-develop the area for a public park.... read more

Spring Creek Community

The tabernacle still hosts meetings not only area residents, but also political meetings and folk singing venues for those living in the southern part of the... read more

Springtown Cemetery

Located in the City of Springtown, its earliest grave from 1854 attests to the initial western Anglo movement into this area. Buried here in an unmarked single grave are notorious outlaws Martha and Kate Cantrell, family members of the infamous Hill... read more

Stephens Cemetery

Descendants of the Stephens family owned this farm until the early 2000’s. Descendants still care for the... read more

Sunshine Special’s “Ellsmere”

Originally located at the Pate Museum on US 377 in SE Parker County, this rail car is now housed at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Boulder City near Las Vegas. The private car, ostensibly the most elegant ever built, was constructed for Dr. W.S. Webb, President... read more

Texas Pythian Home

The last operating Pythian Home in the United States, it was opened to much fanfare in 1909. Originally for widows and orphans, the Home was largely self-sufficient until regulations made it dependency on donations. Henry M. Miller, along with others, was responsible... read more

Thomas C. Snailum

Another English native turned Texan, and citizen of the Republic of Texas for whom he fought, he was a rancher who later operated a hotel in... read more

Tucker House

Located on land farmed by the Tucker family for more than a century, this house replaced the Tucker’s original log cabin around... read more

Twentieth Century Club

Form in 1900 by a group of very active and civic minded women, this building dates from 1923. It was enlarged in 1941. The building is still used by community organizations for many different kinds of... read more

Veal’s Station

Quite the community gathering spot, the site once housed a college. (See “Veal’s Station” under Towns &... read more

Walnut Creek Baptist Church

This congregation was organized in 1867. Led by the Reverend J.C. Power, worship services were first held in a log cabin. In the 1870s a larger log cabin, which served as a church and school, was built on the banks of Walnut Creek in the community of Parker’s... read more

Weatherford

Weatherford, the County seat of Parker County, was founded in 1856 and named for Jefferson Weatherford, a State Senator and Confederate soldier. For many years, it was the last town for people headed West until El Paso, making it truly “Where the West... read more

Weatherford College Old Main Building

For years located at the corner of South Main and East Lee, the College has its roots in the Phoenix Masonic Lodge No. 273 which laid the cornerstone in 1869. In 1968, the college relocated and Old Main, as it was called, was torn down. The bell and stone are all that... read more

Weatherford Post Office

This post office building served Weatherford and Parker County for almost 100 years before the post office moved to a larger site. Purchased by the County, it now serves as a courts... read more

Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern Railway

Built to ferry tourists between Weatherford and Mineral Wells “to take the waters”, it also was used to haul freight and soldiers stationed at Fort Wolters. Opal Bowden, who lived to be 105, recalls the engineer stopping to pick her up at Franco Switch so... read more

Whitt Cemetery

Officially a town established in 1877, this cemetery served the community probably from when the area was first settled around... read more

Whitt Seminary

In January 1880 the elders of the Christian Church at Whitt purchased five acres of land at this site to build a community school. The Whitt Seminary opened in 1881 in a two-story rock building. By 1885 Whitt was a thriving community of about 400 inhabitants with a... read more

Woolfolk-McCall House

Built from mud brick excavated at the site, and occupied by Joseph A. Woolfolk who had the unenviable job of defending Indian Chiefs Santanta and Big Tree against prosecuting attorney S. W. T. Lanham. Rumor has long held Woolfolk hid the chiefs in his basement for... read more

Wright Cemetery

Many cemeteries, like this one, are all that remain of land donated for churches and schools to serve local... read more

The Texas Pythian Home

Share This