Captain Joseph Ward of New Jersey settled this site in 1859 and laid out the town. It was initially named Littletonville or Littleton’s Springs in honor of a pioneer family of the same name, and the springs that flowed in the creek south of the town square. It was incorporated in 1884. Citizens voted to go “dry” in 1894 at which time the articles of incorporation were attacked and suppressed so the saloons could continue to operate.

Share This