The community was named for Joshua Hightower who owned most of the property in the valley east of Blair Valley. The communities south of the Brazos River identified more closely with Hood County as the Brazos inhibited easy travel between the community and the county seat at Weatherford. When the Hightower Bridge was built in 1906, , travel to Weatherford much improved. The bridge was identical to the suspension bridge at Tin Top. The local firm of Mitchell & Pigg were the low bidders with a price of $28,000 for both structures.