One of the oldest communities in Parker County, the post office was established in late 1858. Silas Smith, a respected area farmer born in 1760, was the first postmaster. Children attended the Balch School named for T. E. Balch who followed Smith as the postmaster in 1859. Smith again served as the Confederate postmaster beginning in 1862 when it was a small mail station on the route between Waco and Fork Belnap during the Civil War. The community was also known as Irby, Tin Top and New Prospect. Benjamin Irby was a rancher on the Brazos River in the southern part of the County.