Azle, much of which is located in Tarrant County, had trouble settling on a name. Early settlers called it variously Elizabeth Town, Marysville, and Mooresville. In 1881 it was named O’Bar after William O’Bar who was responsible for obtaining the post office that was located in Fowler’s Store. It was even called Fowler’s Store because that is where people picked up their mail. The various names became somewhat of an inside joke for the locals. The town was finally named after Dr. James Azle Steward, who donated land for the town, a church, and the cemetery.