This farming community is located about 12 miles NW of Weatherford. Originally known as Dry Creek, the application for a post office named “Author” was made about 1879. Someone mis-read the application, and it came back “Authon”, which stuck. The name confusion may be why a post office was not opened until October 1882. John F. Pennington was the first postmaster. G. W. Barham owned and operated a store here which served as the center of the community.